Share this content

Self employed fitness instructor - expenses and capital allowances

Self employed fitness instructor - expenses and...

Didn't find your answer?

A fitness instructor started self employment on 14th March 2014 and has a year-end of 31st March. He therefore needs to report the self employed income and expenses in his 2013-14 self assessment return. His income in that period was only £20 but he would like to claim pre-trading expenses going back 6 years, this will generate a loss to carry forward to 2014-15. These include

gym clothing

boxing gloves

some gym equipment

Special vitamins and nutrients taken to "build up" to a required level for training 



Training courses to develop knowledge of fitness training

Training courses for how to run a self employed business

Can he claim these expenses and if so, which ones would be Capital Allowances (car, clothing, computers & equipment)?

In respect of the Capital Allowances, what type of capital allowance would they be categorized as on the tax return?


Replies (5)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By mrme89
23rd Jan 2015 18:41


I love a good wind up.

Thanks (4)
By duncanedwards
23rd Jan 2015 20:34

Sounds like he needs an accountant.

Thanks (4)
By Gmb
23rd Jan 2015 22:44

I think he needs a door and would hope that it didn't hit his very muscular, chemically enhanced arse[***] on the way out.

Thanks (0)
By Anne Robinson
24th Jan 2015 16:19

Did the self employed training course not include all this?

Thanks (1)
By JacqulineSmith
14th Apr 2015 06:15

I think he must have an accountant to solve all the issues related to the gym instructor, gym equipment and evrything.

Thanks (0)
Share this content

Related posts