I've been delaying the MTD push, in the main because of all the negative threads here on Aweb putting me off and and a consequential forlorn hope that all the issues would have been sorted by now. As I'm back from holiday and with a deadline only a month or so away, however, I had girded my loins to start the process today.
Having just read this thread https://www.accountingweb.co.uk/any-answers/making-tax-difficult-for-vat, however, I am seriously put off even starting the process.
It can't just be me who thinks the Revenue are seriously taking the p*ss here. They're treating us as unpaid beta testers (actually seems more like zeta testers) and assuming that we will *somehow* make their inept systems work for them even though they apparently can't.
So, bottom line, if I were to ignore MTD and continue to use the old HMRC Online Services for my few VAT clients for the time being, then I would be non compliant on their behalf. On the other hand, the Revenue have provided a solution which is clearly not fit for purpose. It doesn't matter to my mind, as they would probably argue, that some or even perhaps most people will eventually get this to work on time, the fact is that neither myself nor my clients are software programmers / expert users and we have a reasonable expectation that something we are asked to do should work first time, every time and the same way in every case (none of which currently seems to be the situation). We also have a reasonable expectation that this should be a seamless process which doesn't require inordinate time, again something which doesn't currently seem to be the situation.
So, what do people think my chances would be if penalties were raised and this went to tribunal?
Leaving that aside, the plus side of delaying would be a) the returns will definitely go in and HMRC will definitely get its tax (not something we can be sure will happen if the current MTD sign up farrago continues), and b) the whole issue that this is the worst possible quarter to start MTD is avoided.
The downside will be that, in reality, the process will almost certainly still be a mess next month when the next stagger of returns needs to be dealt with, so I am probably just delaying the pain rather than avoiding it.