Share this content

Stamp duty on separation

Is a formal deed of separation required before

Didn't find your answer?

Married couple separating, and selling the family home and buying one each. On Googling, I find the words "Spouses are treated as living together unless separated under a court order or formal deed of separation." This should happen in the next few weeks. Nothing has been done about a formal deed - is this immediately required? Is there any danger of the higher rate of stamp duty being due on the new properties?

Also there is a rental property which is on the market, but has not been sold yet. Given this has never been a PPR, is this an exposure? I think I may have heard mention at a tax update seminar, but cannot remember clearly.

Replies (2)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By NicoleM
29th Nov 2020 21:56

When you purchase another property, if you haven't sold your marital home, you would pay stamp duty at the higher rate (2nd home),but you have a period of 12 months, I believe, to claim part of the additional stamp duty back when you sell your primary home.

A formal deed of separation, has to be approved by the court, which takes around 6 weeks from the date you submit the form. However, on the form, you put the date which you separated / moved out.

Generally, you would not be recommended to do this until your finances have been agreed - which is probably not possible until after you have sold the rental property, as this would effect the amount of equity to be divided between the two parties.

Thanks (0)
By Justin Bryant
30th Nov 2020 10:43

To avoid the 3% he/she has to either both get rid of the BTL and be within the exemption below or sell the previous main home within the usual time limits/conditions (and if necessary obtain a refund).

Thanks (0)
Share this content