Share this content

Tax relief for moving expenses entirely paid by employee

Tax relief for moving expenses entirely paid by...

I am currently resident in the UK and am moving to the US for a job. My employer is not directly paying for the relocation (e.g., cost of moving furniture and airfare) but is indirectly paying for it by increasing my base salary/bonus. Therefore they are not going to provide a P11D . Can I deduct these moving costs and if so, where on the SA or what form is this entered on?

Thank you.


Please login or register to join the discussion.

04th Mar 2012 14:52

From what you say the choice to move to the US is yours so you can not claim the costs of relocation. Regards Peter

Thanks (0)
05th Mar 2012 11:27

What you need to do...

... is when you get to the US, you give those nice people at the IRS a call (toll-free!), and tell them that you want a "tax write off" for the costs or relocating yourself to their lovely little island.

Thanks (0)
Share this content