Share this content
0
2935

Tax repayment security checks

Just a grunt about HMRC

Didn't find your answer?

Search AccountingWEB

Have submitted a SATR for a small CIS subbie on 6th April with c £2k repayment to come to our Co's client bank account and have been chasing HMRC for this repayment for the last 3 months now.

HMRC have chosen the repayment for additional security checks and initially provided a deadline when this should be released for payment of early June. When called them in early June they extended the deadline till today. When calling today, the "very helpful" staff member Benjamin tells me that "they have found something, and the deadline is now 16 August". When asked to speak to his manager it turns out that the note on HMRC's system states simply that "checks require more time. Should be processed by 16/8" and nothing about HMRC findings etc. The so called HMRC advisor just interpreted the note in his own way. Some people are jobsworth!

The subbie's return is crystal clean as he does all the work for the same contractor for whom I run the payroll so all number tally to the penny. What can HMRC be checking there for almost 3 months? 

 

 

Replies (6)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

avatar
By KD1182
28th Jun 2018 10:59

Complain and ask to raise a it to Tier 2. That should speed things up considerably.

You can thank me later.

Thanks (1)
Replying to KD1182:
avatar
By free-rider
28th Jun 2018 11:52

KD1182 wrote:

Complain and ask to raise a it to Tier 2. That should speed things up considerably.

You can thank me later.

Already complained, but don't hold my breath that the repayment will be released any time soon.

Thanks (0)
By Tim Vane
28th Jun 2018 11:04

Security checks may be a smoke screen. If your subbie is permanently working for the same contractor they may be looking to re-assess him as an employee.

Thanks (1)
Replying to Tim Vane:
avatar
By free-rider
28th Jun 2018 11:55

Tim Vane wrote:

Security checks may be a smoke screen. If your subbie is permanently working for the same contractor they may be looking to re-assess him as an employee.

This is one of the clients who I truly believe is genuinely self-employed, e.g. provides his own tools, can reject work and send a substitution etc. so I can't see any reasons for a delay.

Thanks (0)
avatar
By Krusty
28th Jun 2018 14:21

Did you phone the caseworker/team dealing with the security checks or just the regular self assessment helpline?

If the latter, then they'll probably only have limited information they can provide

Thanks (0)
Replying to Krusty:
avatar
By free-rider
28th Jun 2018 16:56

Krusty wrote:

Did you phone the caseworker/team dealing with the security checks or just the regular self assessment helpline?

If the latter, then they'll probably only have limited information they can provide

Unfortunately, the Agent Helpline folks do not have a phone number for the case worker. Also, they are stating that HMRC are checking the repayment for the last 2 months, but no letters have been sent to the client/Agent requesting any kind of information.

Thanks (0)
Share this content