I have to leave Iris OpenTax before I have a nervous breakdown.
Anyone recommend a hosted or cloud-based provider which provides:
- Easy migration from PTP of hundreds of clients.
- Paper reports printable of tax returns done etc
- Remote working capacity (hence cloud/hosted)
- Good customer service
If you want the detail of my problems with Iris OpenTax and migration from PTP Tax Platform, then read one. If not and you can help me with the above that would be much appreciated.
After over 10 years with PTP I was persuaded in October 2014 to take on their Iris OpenTax product, thinking it would give me more flexibility in accessing records and working when away from base. I also thought I have given it enough time from launch for teething problems to be ironed out.
I deeply, deeply, regret making the move. I am now looking for a hosted or cloud-based competitor.
The problems I have found with OpenTax:
1) Very slow - I have 30Mb broadband in the office asnd still I watch the progress whel grinding round. 30 seconds for some operations.
2) No facility to do a mail merge of clients. I used to use PTP tax platform to send a letter to all clients whose records were still awaited. Asked them and they have no plans to introduce this.
3) No facility to print out a list of tax returns done. Old PTP Tax Platform had this. It seems fundemental to practice management.
4) Today the pie chart which is supposed to display progress and allows you to view online the clients in a cetegory is refusing to update. Shows me 939 tax returns to HMRC. When I ask it to drill down to 2013/14 returns it does not change. Figure should be under 200. It changed a few days ago.
5) Migration to OpenTax was a disaster, due to size of practice they offered to do it for us and it ended up taking weeks!
If you like PTP - stay with the old product, don't go to cloud. If you have doubts look around.
Thanks for reading the woes of a long-standing and infuriated client of PTP/IRIS. (Just saved me £50 on a counselling session on the couch!)