VAT Code for Disallowable Expenses

Hiya, can anyone confirm which VAT code to use for disallowable expenses?

Didn't find your answer?

Hiya can anyone advise which VAT code to use for disallowable expenses, such as client entertaining or paying for self-assessment professional fees for directors.  Is it Exempt, Zero Rated, Outside the Scope or No VAT?  And should the gross cost be included in Box 7 of the VAT return? Thanks in advance.

Replies (1)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By rmillaree
24th Nov 2023 13:18

the following items are the easy ones - anything detail below should be "no vat" ie not included on vat return
But do not include the value of any of the following:

wages and salaries
PAYE and National Insurance contributions
money taken out of the business by you
loans, dividends, and gifts of money
Stock Exchange dealings (unless you’re a financial institution)
MOT certificates
motor vehicle licence duty
local authority rates
expenditure that’s outside the scope of VAT because it is not consideration for a supply

Thanks (0)