Share this content

Which nominal code should be used for a Gratuity Paid at a restaurant?

Which nominal code should be used for a...

Good morning,

I am currently finalising our annual accounts and I like things to be 100% correct.

I have searched this site, HMRC and the web in general but can only seem to find information relating to NIC's and gratuities received.

My question is when we have a business meeting which finishes late and we do not get back to the office until evening, we naturally require subsistence.

I have a few invoices which I would like to post to Sage which have been paid directly by the business but we included a gratuity.

I have posted the subsistence to BP 1200 7406 T1 to claim VAT back on the main meal but how do I handle the gratuity please?

I realise that it will probably be T9 but to what nominal code should I assign it?

And finally!  What is deemed to be an acceptable cost for subsistence - on a per meal basis? On a per day basis?

If we sent £35 for two people at a restaurant 80 miles from home at say 5pm, would this be deemed OK by the revenue?  The time was actually after 8pm. but I simply want to get a feel of what is reasonable in the eyes of HMRC.

I know that there are time constraints also.  I believe it you were to arrive home after 8pm then you can claim.

Many thanks in anticipation of any answers.


Please login or register to join the discussion.

10th Jul 2012 00:15

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks (0)
Share this content