Share this content
0
1597

Why don't people have avatars?

It takes 2 mins to load one

Didn't find your answer?

Search AccountingWEB

Looking at Any Answers majority of people do NOT have avatars. Why?

 

Replies

Please login or register to join the discussion.

avatar
04th Jun 2017 11:38

Because I see it as a pointless waste of time. What would I pick - a picture of a cloud? An abacus? Socrates? Duster Bennett? What would it mean?

Given the fact that the majority don't have them then you could reverse the question. Not that I would ask it, because I don't care.

Thanks (0)
to Cloudcounter
04th Jun 2017 11:56

Cloudcounter wrote:

Because I see it as a pointless waste of time. What would I pick - a picture of a cloud? An abacus? Socrates? Duster Bennett? What would it mean?

Given the fact that the majority don't have them then you could reverse the question. Not that I would ask it, because I don't care.

Personally, I find them helpful aids to recognition of who's making the post. Quicker and more effective than searching for the typed name.

Thanks (1)
to Cloudcounter
04th Jun 2017 17:00

I think Hal avatar would be great for you:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1280&bih=633&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=hal+ava...

Other option is your picture.

It means straight away I will know it is a response from Cloudcounter. It becomes your personal brand.

When I see Red Leader's avatar, I make sure I read his comments since I learn something from what he says, most of the time.

Thanks (0)
avatar
to FirstTab
05th Jun 2017 09:01

FirstTab wrote:

I think Hal avatar would be great for you:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1280&bih=633&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=hal+ava...

Words fail me

Thanks (0)
to Cloudcounter
05th Jun 2017 09:07

I suggest you read more to improve you vocabulary.

Thanks (0)
avatar
to FirstTab
05th Jun 2017 09:30

I suggest that you read more so that you will understand that "words fail me" is a well known expression "used to express one's disbelief or dismay" (Oxford Dictionaries.com)

Perhaps I should have quoted Mr McEnroe "You cannot be serious"

Thanks (0)
to Cloudcounter
05th Jun 2017 09:55

Yes I am serious. Incredibly backward thinking individual. Cloudcounter is an appropriate pseudo name. Change it to Quillcounter.

No more wasting of my time! Goodbye.

Thanks (0)
to FirstTab
05th Jun 2017 10:21

FirstTab wrote:

No more wasting of my time! Goodbye.

You were the one that went looking for an avatar for someone that clearly didn't want one. It is you who is wasting your own time.

This is a lesson you fail to learn again and again. No-one else on these forums is beholden to do things the way you want them to. 90% of the grief you get is from acting otherwise.

Thanks (3)
to stepurhan
05th Jun 2017 10:49

The only person who gives me grief is YOU.

STOP advising me. You are not a person I have the slightest regard for. You know all this.

Thanks (0)
to FirstTab
05th Jun 2017 11:03

FirstTab wrote:

The only person who gives me grief is YOU.

That is not even remotely true and you know it.
Quote:

STOP advising me. You are not a person I have the slightest regard for. You know all this.


Case in point. You demand that I stop responding to your queries. You have no authority here to make such a demand.

If you don't want me to respond to your queries, don't raise them here.

Thanks (4)
avatar
to FirstTab
05th Jun 2017 10:35

So not wanting a picture of a cartoon character (that I've never heard of) linked to my name makes me not just backward thinking but incredidbly backward thinking? And by association so backward that I am associated with quill pens.

You, by having a picture, are dynamic, forward thinking and at the cutting edge. Clearly technically superior.

I see

Thanks (3)
By DJKL
to Cloudcounter
05th Jun 2017 12:30

You could really confuse matters if you choose a picture of a quill as your avatar.

Thanks (0)
avatar
By spilly
04th Jun 2017 12:45

Because I don't know how to get one, but also am not too bothered about having one.

Thanks (1)
04th Jun 2017 12:49

Because accountants lack identity ;)

Thanks (1)
avatar
By mabzden
04th Jun 2017 13:31

FirstTab wrote:

Looking at Any Answers majority of people do NOT have avatars. Why?

 

And WHY do you not have anything more important to worry about??

Thanks (0)
avatar
04th Jun 2017 13:32

FirstTab wrote:

Looking at Any Answers majority of people do NOT have avatars. Why?

 

Because I'm a grown up.

Thanks (1)
to Accountant A
04th Jun 2017 18:01

Accountant A wrote:

FirstTab wrote:

Looking at Any Answers majority of people do NOT have avatars. Why?

 

Because I'm a grown up.

Are you seriously saying that all these global firms with logos are not "grown up"?

Shell - not grown up because they have a picture instead of letters ?

I don't think so.

Thanks (2)
avatar
to lionofludesch
05th Jun 2017 08:59

The question was about avatars on forums not commercial logos.

What would you say if Shell used a picture of a penguin smoking a cigarette as their logo? Or a cat on a chair? Or an adult riding a three year old's tricycle?

Thanks (0)
avatar
By mabzden
to Cloudcounter
05th Jun 2017 09:46

@Cloudcounter

I've found a suitable avatar, and thank you for the idea....

Thanks (1)
avatar
to mabzden
05th Jun 2017 09:52

Stupid discussion; superb contribution.

Thanks (1)
to Cloudcounter
05th Jun 2017 10:42

Cloudcounter wrote:

The question was about avatars on forums not commercial logos.

What would you say if Shell used a picture of a penguin smoking a cigarette as their logo? Or a cat on a chair? Or an adult riding a three year old's tricycle?

I would think that it said something about the member.

Thanks (0)
avatar
By mabzden
to lionofludesch
05th Jun 2017 11:00

Lino, there's nothing wrong with using a picture of a penguin smoking a cigarette. Finding the image was fifteen minutes well spent, and I very much hope it will persuade FirstTab to read my expert contributions to the site.

SteLacca obviously feels the same way.

Thanks (1)
to mabzden
05th Jun 2017 11:20

I didn't say there was.

Thanks (0)
to mabzden
05th Jun 2017 21:14

Good avatar. I hope you keep it.

Thanks (0)
By DJKL
to Cloudcounter
05th Jun 2017 12:33

Penguin would work as everyone seems to love penguins, not sure of the smoking though, also a tad tricky re a naked flame and an oil/gas producer.

Thanks (0)
04th Jun 2017 22:45

CBA

Thanks (0)
avatar
05th Jun 2017 08:27

Ah, that's what an avatar is.

Thanks (0)
05th Jun 2017 09:23

It takes 2 mins to load one, IF you already have something you want to use.

If you don't then it can take a lot longer for a largely pointless exercise. Given one of the main aims of the forum is to ask anonymised questions, most won't want to use something directly associated with them. What alternatives are there?

They could, like you, use some generic clip art that appears all over the net. They could grab a picture off the net and risk unexpected associations or copyright issues. Or, they can just not bother, which is the easiest route clearly picked by most.

Not that I expect you to answer, but why did you ask this question? It's not just simple curiosity, since your subtitle clearly implies you think people are being lazy not doing it. Why do you care whether other people have avatars or not?

Thanks (1)
to stepurhan
05th Jun 2017 09:53

stepurhan wrote:

They could, like you, use some generic clip art that appears all over the net. They could grab a picture off the net and risk unexpected associations or copyright issues. Or, they can just not bother, which is the easiest route clearly picked by most.

Phew, mine isn't generic clipart, mine is my own artwork, so I'm good :)

Thanks (3)
By mrme89
05th Jun 2017 10:13

First Tab is just bitter.

His first choice of avatar was of an air conditioning unit. But his project manager overlooked it, so he had to make do with a cyclist.

Thanks (2)
avatar
05th Jun 2017 11:19

I thought avatars were just pretty pictures, mine reminds me to get my MGB MOT'd some time.

Thanks (0)
By DJKL
05th Jun 2017 12:39

Mine is our holiday house in Sweden- constant reminder when posting that I would rather be there than here. Has advantage that I have Easter, Summer and Winter photos so can change it, possibly by season or as a simile for my mood.

Thanks (1)
05th Jun 2017 12:40

Must be a slow day!

Thanks (0)
avatar
05th Jun 2017 12:57

When you get in a lift, and wonder what the very bottom button does. Well, this is where it takes you.

Thanks (2)
avatar
05th Jun 2017 13:48

2 minutes my @r5e! I uploaded my chosen picture of a fluffy, pink p3n1s at around 11am, and it hasn't appeared; there appears to have been some sort of manual intervention, I think.

EDIT: Ha ha!

EDIT 2: I was fumbled!

Thanks (1)
to Dick Stastey
05th Jun 2017 13:52

I can still see it on the list for the benchmarking post! How can it appear in one place and not others??

Edit - gone now, made a nice change from grey heads

Thanks (0)
avatar
to accountantccole
05th Jun 2017 13:57

Naught lady accountant, with all your head talk!

Thanks (1)
05th Jun 2017 14:31

"It takes 2 mins to load one"

Maybe to load one, but it took months and cost a fortune for my creative designer to make mine.

Thanks (1)
avatar
05th Jun 2017 16:36

Because nice young ladies with ice lollies aren't allowed, apparently.

Thanks (0)
05th Jun 2017 16:47

I'm making this post so that people can learn something from it.

Thanks (4)
to Red Leader
05th Jun 2017 17:01

I feel better informed already.

Thanks (1)
avatar
By mabzden
to Red Leader
05th Jun 2017 17:03

Thank you but I prefer my new avatar.

Thanks (1)
to Red Leader
05th Jun 2017 21:04

Not this time. It is just mere fluff.

Thanks (0)
avatar
06th Jun 2017 13:02

I don't have an avatar because I am an avatar.

Thanks (0)
avatar
06th Jun 2017 13:11

I uploaded my one of a grey background with a slightly lighter grey silhouette. I thought everyone else was just copying mine.

Thanks (2)
Share this content