Steve Collings named Technician of the Yearby
Steve Collings has won Accounting Technician of the Year at the British Accountancy Awards 2011.
AccountingWEB’s financial reporting correspondent pipped the two other shortlisted candidates, Kate Hawkins and Garry Coombs Collings, to the prize at the profession's big gala dinner this week.
The judges said: “Not only did Steve excel above and beyond the call of duty in his day job but he also managed to write highly successful books. He is clearly a dedicated man who worked tirelessly to raise the standards and professionalism of his part of the industry.”
Commenting on the award, Collings said: “I am delighted to be awarded the accounting technician of the year award in recognition of the work that I have done within the profession. Myself and LWA are proud of the high standards of service which we offer to our clients. This award is testament to the firms continuing high standards of service and levels of knowledge.”
Collings, senior statutory auditor and technical partner at Leavitt Walmsley Associates, has spent nearly 12 years at his practice and written a vast number of technical articles and books for the audit and accountancy profession, including his most recent title Interpretation and Application of International Standards on Auditing.
His writings for AccountingWEB are collected here.
He has also lectured professional accountants on UK accounting standards/auditing standards, IFRS and solicitors accounts rules.
Collings said of his work with AccountingWEB: “I’ve been involved with AccountingWEB for around four years and it’s definitely helped raise my profile.
“A substantial majority of the accounting profession would consider AccountingWEB the number one place to go to for resources because there’s just so much on there. When I write books I always mention the site in the acknowledgment because of what it’s done for my profile.”
The other prize winners on the night were:
- Independent firm of the Year, Midlands Coalesco Accountants
- Independent firm of the Year, Greater London Elman Wall
- Independent firm of the Year, South East & East GreenStones (also a running up in the Practice Excellence Awards)
- Independent firm of the Year, South West England Inspire Professional Services
- Independent firm of the Year, North England Lamont Pridmore
- Independent firm of the Year, Scotland Macfarlane Grey
- Independent firm of the Year, Wales Hart Parry
- Independent firm of the year Elman Wall
- Global firm of the Year KPMG
- National firm of the Year RSM Tenon
- Mid-Tier firm of the Year Carter Backer Winter (winner of the large firm Practice Excellence Award)
- Software package of the Year FreeAgent
- Tax Award of the Year, Global Firm BDO
- Tax Award of the Year, National, Mid-Tier, Independent Firm James Cowper
- Audit Award of the Year KPMG
- Community Award KPMG and City Academy Hackney
- New Accountant of the Year Maria Williams, SJD Accountancy
- Training Manager of the Year Michael Walby, KPMG
- Employer Excellence GreenStones
- Lifetime Achievement Award Jeremy Newman, senior partner, BDO