Share this content

My Week: Street Numbering

5th May 2017
Share this content

It is a plain old English Hello today folks. Also, a boring blog post since I am exhausted and not in a good mood.

I am still busy with the purchase of FT Tower. The neighbour is a not an easy person. To bore you a little; this is what I am trying to sort out.

  • FT Tower address - 123 Ground Floor Shop, FT Road, 1NW 6WW
  • Neighbour address – 123 Ground Floor Flat, FT Road, 1NW 6WW


The address is recognised as 123 FT Road. It means we both use the same address.

Solution Suggested to Neighbour

Subject to local authority approval

  • Neighbour address: 123a FT Road
  • FT Prac Address 123 FT Road

Solution rejected by the neighbourHe wants 123 FT Road. I said okay.

Application to Local Authority

I wrote to the local authority outlining the change of address. They said no. The business premises address needs to be 123 FT Road and residential address need to be 123a FT Road.

Neighbour’s response-  for him to take 123a FT Road, he needs compensation. I told him to take a hike.

What to do?

A fantastic person within the local authority provided a helpful response on the way forward:

“Finally, it is not up to a property owner or tenant to determine what their address is. This is the role of the local authority. The Council possess the legal power to dictate to a resident what their address is and force them to adopt it (changing all of their legal documentation if necessary). In fact we have done this on several occasions already this year but normally in instances where residents have adopted an address off of one street when in actual fact their front door is on another street.

Can I ask are you experiencing any issues such as post going missing as a result of the confusion surrounding the addressing? If I can obtain some form of justification for forcing a change to both addresses then that would help. But just to warn you forcing a change to an address is a lengthy process. One of the residents is normally unhappy and the Council must allow them to go through a complaints procedure which can be up to 3 months long.”

I will try and force the change on the neighbour. I tried to be reasonable with him, that did not work. He is a right back hole.


Replies (3)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By petersaxton
05th May 2017 20:46

You are in the right.
Stick to your guns.
It will take a while to get what you want but it will be worth it. You could either use short print runs or use temporary branding. I still use Word templates - after living at the same place over 17 years.

Thanks (2)
By dbowleracca
05th May 2017 22:29

Just do it and tell him that unfortunately the process is all laid out by the council and you have to follow their regulations.

The alternative is that he receives a large volume of post that comes for you and has to bring that to you, and that his address will also become by default the registered office address of quite a number of businesses which means even more post and potentially the bailiffs etc calling to collect client monies.

He seems to have no leg to stand on, but they say it could take 3 months and I would imagine the process is much longer in these circumstances

Thanks (3)
Glenn Martin
By Glenn Martin
06th May 2017 21:20

You have been reasonable with the neighbour but he has not been reasonable with you. Sit back and let the council deal with it. Hopefully It will die down and he will not be a dick with you going forward.

Disputes with neighbours are not good and take a lot of energy, I had a bad neighbour at the first house I owned after I left home. It ended up escalating until I gave him a smack in the mouth which I was not proud of ( although a massive stress release at the time) but it did stop any further issues.

Over time your business name will establish itself at that location and the numbering will be irrelevant.

When do you complete on this.

Thanks (2)