I received an email today about attending a careers networking event where you can give or receive advice. Not 100% sure if I will be able to attend because of the whole nursing my baby thing but it got me thinking about what advice I would like to have given myself 10 years ago.
1. Research into all the places where you can study for accountancy.
2. Start studying as soon as you finish university or even better, while you are at university (if you have the funds) to keep yourself motivated and to keep going.
3. While you are studying and working you will have no life. ( but more of a life than being a mum to a baby and a toddler)
4. Accountancy is more of a people facing job than a hiding in an office and dealing with numbers all day as I was lead to believe.
5. The four main accountancy bodies are ACA, ACCA, CIMA and CIPFA.
6. If you want to set up your own accountancy practice make sure you work for approved accountants and keep your training records up to date and signed.
7. Accountants in industry earn more than accountants in practice.
8. Accountants in practice have more technical knowledge than accountants in industry (And will eventually earn a lot).
9. Anyone can call themselves as accountant but if you have a qualification it shows that you follow a set of rules and that you know what you are doing and won't swindle people out of money by doing sub standard work.
10. Accountants are quite a friendly and funny (!) bunch of people. Check out some popular accountancy blogs.
About A mum and an accountant
Attempting to be an amazing accountant and an amazing mum, somehow combine the two and meet somewhere in the middle but currently failing at both. Hoping that in a few years I will have found something I enjoy doing or found some sort of work life balance and will be in a less stressed out place but until then, or as I get there, I think I will vent all my frustrations out on these blogs! And the responses I've had to the blogs have been quite nice which spurs me on to keep going.