Mental Health Awareness week has just passed and might have gotten you thinking about well-being at work. One import aspect of promoting well-being is fostering a feeling of belonging. Workers who feel like they belong are more productive and less likely to look for a new job than those who feel excluded or alone. With a large proportion of the accounting workforce based remotely, it is more important than ever to focus on creating a sense of belonging in your department. A recent article by Deloitte highlights three areas that contribute to an atmosphere of belonging: comfort, connection, and contribution. To create this atmosphere, it helps to have applications like Ordo the secure bank transfer service. It works with your accounting software and cuts down on repetitive tasks, leaving you with more time to connect with colleagues and contribute to work in meaningful ways.
Creating a comfortable workplace
Making a remote workplace comfortable isn’t so much about adding plush furniture, but instead creating a work environment where workers are treated fairly and feel welcome. Ideas include:
- Making video calls accessible - Make sure that video calls and teleconferences are accessible to all who need to be there by using technology that permits closed-captioning, screen readers or transcripts.
- Provide a call-in option for meetings – Over the past year we have had to rely on our internet access for many meetings, but sometimes a stable high-speed internet connection isn’t possible. A call-in option ensures that if the internet goes down, team members can still contribute.
- Get training in remote work tools – We are all having to depend remote work tools, so make sure you and your colleagues know how to get the most out of them. Some tools provide free training options.
This past year has left many people feeling isolated and although video chats do help colleagues connect, they can’t replace the unplanned meetups at the water cooler or impromptu coffee break interactions. In the virtual workspace, look for ways to build solidarity with your colleagues. If you are part of a team, buddy up with a colleague so you can check up on each other and don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it.
It was easy to point out someone’s good work in person at the office, but remote working makes it more complicated. A recent article in the Harvard Business Review highlights the importance of practicing kindness in the workplace. Giving and receiving kind words and actions can help highlight our contributions, inject meaning into work, and make us happier. In order to promote kindness in your workspace try these suggestions:
- Promote positive leadership – if you are managing a team make sure to set a good example. Make a point to compliment and praise the work of your team members.
- Make time to focus on kindness in video meetings –Set aside some time during video meetings to recognise the work of your colleagues.
- Give small bonuses – A bonus doesn’t have to break the bank to have a positive effect. Even small bonuses like a gift card can make someone feel their contribution to the company is acknowledged.
Finally, adopting simple, time-saving applications can give you more time to connect with colleagues. Ordo is an instant secure bank transfer service that can save you time and money. It works seamlessly with Sage, Xero, and Quickbooks. Ordo is the official payments Open Banking partner with Sage and is available in the Sage marketplace. Ordo offers a low fixed price per transaction and easy reconciliation of payments, saving you money and giving you more time to collaborate and communicate with your team. Organise a demonstration today and find out how Ordo can simplify your payments process.
You might also be interested in
Ordo removes hassle & headache from payments, making getting paid easy. Ordo means reduced costs, immediate money transfer, automatically reconciled payments, invoice security, and happy customers. We’re FCA authorised (FRN836070), invested in by Nationwide Building Society, the former Faster Payments leadership team & CGI partners.