Mobile traffic from social media dwarfs desktop

4th Feb 2021
Brought to you by
PracticeWeb Logo
Share this content

Benchmarking success

Over the past year browsing habits across the globe have changed. According to a study by Kantar Worldwide, web browsing has increased by 70% and social media engagement has increased by 61% over normal usage rates.

SME owners and operators here in the UK are no different and accountants who want to increase their website traffic and conversion need to take advantage of this trend. There is the need to also think about social media in particular, as our own statistics highlight social media through mobile as an increasingly important marketing channel.

We track all our clients' websites through one global instance of Google Analytics. This gives us the power to see what’s happening to all our clients' websites at any given time and create accounting-industry-wide benchmarks for marketing performance data and website conversions. 

Each month, I dip into the aggregated data to see what’s happened, spot trends and report back on how our clients' marketing performs.

In this month's analysis I noticed a 15% increase in traffic from mobile, compared to the previous 60 days. So I thought I would take a closer look at what’s driving that uplift, how that compares to desktop and what the difference is between referring channels to the site and their respective conversion rates.

What I discovered is how mobile users' routes to our accountants websites differ from desktop – and how you can take advantage of this user journey in your own marketing to increase traffic and conversions from mobile users.

Putting the traffic into context

Mobile traffic makes up 30% of our clients overall website traffic, with the remaining 70% from desktop – that is, laptops and PCs. 

The volume of Mobile traffic has slowly been increasing throughout the year. But we saw a sharp spike from November last year which has continued throughout January.

The biggest driver of mobile traffic  to our websites for accountants over the last 60 days comes via organic search (mostly Google) which makes up 70% of overall mobile traffic. On desktop, this is slightly less at 60%.

However, percentages for paid search, traffic from paid advertising such as Google pay-per-click, are interesting. On mobile it’s at 6% compared to desktop with only 2%.

Direct traffic is the other way around: on desktop, 30% of overall traffic comes direct, whereas on mobile it’s only 14%. 

These statistics show a significant difference in behaviour between the two platforms and how mobile users choose to visit accounting firms websites.

Mobile traffic dwarfs desktop from social media

There is a significant difference in the volume of traffic from mobile compared to desktop when it comes to social media.

The percentages of overall traffic coming from social media to our clients’ sites is relatively small, 5% for mobile and 1% on desktop. 

However, 213% more traffic comes via social media from mobile than from desktop.

The conversion rate from the last 60 days for social media traffic is just under 2%.

In summary, social media is a big driver of traffic for mobile users back to a firm's website, compared to desktop."

Couple that with a healthy conversion rate. It presents a significant opportunity for accounting firms and their marketing tactics.

How do mobile users prefer to get in touch?

How a mobile user chooses to get in touch isn’t going to be a surprise. The top call to action on mobile is a user tapping the button to call the accounting firm. That makes up 42% of overall euo getTrficas ap markeunity for accounting fw dr accounting fw dr ataccouvhe button to calunting fw touchountet i brand ae accou makes up 42% of ovwpntto,ycDI1al

(yding tdmpared to sPdear. But sPd 2%.

< 42%. But sPdzom r a"24thto our clcake--m84h volumew.kantar.com/(ydolumtd accounti>
08bop||ieyicant tic from mobi=_media-dwarfs-desktop" /> Skills vembett accologsxT-deop, 30% ofyd relatpunlk Skills vembettc4hs just desktop – andiary-nav__unity for accounting fw dr accounting fw drrs|ceevertis st atac"-click,r-opindrrs|ceevqOia is a big d ycF