Member Since: 28th Jan 2001
Accounting degree, CIMA qualified. Added ATT in recent years. Working in the SME sector as FC/FD. Previously worked for UK subsidiaries of Canadian and Chinese parents. (different jobs...)
2nd Aug 2018
Great article, thanks.
12th Apr 2018
I too look at debtor days, but, fortunately my software can give me date of invoice and date of payment - so I can get an actual value for time taken to pay.
The traditional debtor days calculation can give some strange figures when sales rise and fall each month.
I also tend to try and concentrate on getting the low value invoices cleared. There is a temptation to just concentrate on the large value ones, but the low value ones cause a lot of noise in the system.
Every account is on stop at 60 days with no 'special' accounts.
6th Mar 2018
Fundamentally, for me, EBITDA is an external measure to value other businesses.
For day to day control of one's own company, we do not tend to use it at all. After all, our loan costs, or capital replacement, are very real costs to us.
6th Feb 2018
I am concerned - we use Sage 200, which is decent software, but I am unable to upgrade to the very latest version, as that requires upgrades to all the rest of the infrastructure - new MS office licences, new email servers, etc etc.
I worry that, unless I have the very latest version, I will not be able to obtain the MTDfVAT process.
The stupid thing is the existing data entry into VAt online actually works...
28th Dec 2017
I enjoyed the film, they are making a sequel I think
27th Dec 2017
A few different and non work ones for me:
1) We have recently applied to adopt - and are working through the training on that. Would be nice to think of a new member of the family by next Christmas - although it can take a while.
2) Half Marathon - this year will be my third, and my friend and I aim to complete it without too much walking. It is in September, so lots of time.
3) Church Bell Ringing - I have returned after a 17 year gap. I used to be OK, am now a bit rubbish.
4) The bus driving is back on the agenda. I have renewed the provisional entitlement, and am planning to do the training in March.
5)On the work front - the full time job will be broadly similar to last year - although the firm is doing well, so who knows.
Aiming to help Mrs T's business to grow this year into something less staccato.
6) No alcohol in Jan - again
22nd Nov 2017
"Event has reached capacity set by the host"
4th Oct 2017
good to read your blog again,
Keep venting - that's what this site is for!
20th Sep 2017
It's an interesting discussion, isn't it. Once you have got above the SME businesses using off the shelf packages on one PC, you are into a whole realm of complexity.
I, for one, am not relishing the idea of upsetting my working systems to suit some government diktat.
9th Sep 2017
Good update to hear,