why always me
why always me
Member Since: 21st Jun 2012
8th Oct 2019
We were initially told spreadsheets unacceptable only for HMRC to loosen this restriction.
Lesson learned, wait to last minute rather than planning ahead based on HMRC 'rules'
2nd Oct 2019
We had moved a fair chunk to Quickbooks, 50% fine and it will benefit us in long run, 50% a shambles and no amount of training and support will fix. They are being moved back to spreadsheets and bridging software and are all a bit miffed we suggested they move.
Cannot beat a spreadsheet and filter option to review, no matter what techy people tell you.
6th Sep 2019
Why not just make tax payments 6 months after the year end and POA 3 months earlier, government gets money sooner and not unreasonable for taxpayer.
80% of our clients have there tax bills easily in 6 months and the other 20% will always come in the last month no matter when it is.
Or spend x millions on various studies, change everything to a system that wont work, ignore agent pleas for common sense and fine the hell out of taxpayers for non compliance:)
22nd Aug 2019
I have already moved several clients back to spreadsheets and bridging software as they simply could not cope with cloud software.
All for pushing forward, but forcing people to do it will not work. I hope the bridging option is still there for a few years.
Hard to argue with someone with a straightforward in and out spreadsheet where errors jump out at you as opposed to the various cloud providers.
20th Aug 2019
Oh my days, another ditch bad clients story. Sorry but getting a little tedious.
Unless they are abusive then clearly ditch them, but why not charge for the work you do than this 'cull' of bad clients.
14th Aug 2019
Touch wood!, relatively painless. All the clients we submit for are on agent portal, so spend a day registering via my new ASA (this did takes days of time with issues, but a few months ago, so distant memory) and sure enough 72 hours later email confirming signed up. All returns seemed to go smoothly, so unless a barrage of rude HMRC letter on the way, no issue.
Only problem was with the ones who do it themselves calling up on the 7th to ask 'was I supposed to do something?'
Mentioning the 3 emails and 2 conversations we had in the last month put there gas at a peep and eventually they are now sorted (thankfully no fines as this would indeed be our fault!)
Although painless, it did take up an extraordinary amount of time and discussions with clients over the month that may well be hard to recover (as anything is where the agent cannot simply do it for the client). When will HMRC learn that making it easier for agent will lead to better compliance ??
13th Aug 2019
Oh my days, you have just described half of our client base!!!
However I am no longer phased by them. They get charged according to time they take up and either put up with it or move on. I have actually found most stay as we give a great service. The constant 'ditch bad clients' mantra does not sit well with me, as long as you pay for our time and are not abusive, we will look after you.
2nd Aug 2019
I have worked at a large firm were it was dog eat dog and the partners fostered this to get more free work out of staff. Partner questioned my commitment, and did not take kindly to being asked 'if I get full recovery on my 7 hour day and John gets 50% recovery on his 10 hour day, why should I be like John?'
Thankfully joined a smaller form as manager and from the get go I said I am here to work 9 to 5 and go home. No issue with additional work now and again and January, but as long as it was not the normal practice.
Been here 16 years now and I expect the same from my team. Work hard then go home. Other than the few who did not make the grade, 10 other staff all here for 6 to 14 years and counting.
Clients know we are 9 to 5 unless an actual emergency. Difficult when you are younger but as you get older you realise just a number and not worth your health.
3rd May 2019
No doubt this is caused by Brexit!!!
17th Apr 2019
An yet there is still a push to be a 'niche' accountancy firm to get an award!!
Old adage all eggs in one basket rings true