HMRC start fishing for builders

Kashflow logo
Share this content

HMRC have embarked on a new series of fishing expeditions centred around builders according to a report by the ICAEW Tax Faculty last week. They reproduced on their website a letter and form sent by HMRC's North London Risk Team to North London home owners who have been or who are undertaking sizeable building works.

It seems that HMRC have selected the households by scanning council planning applications which are free to view online. The letter asks for details of works completed, the name and address of the builder, the cost of the job, and also requests the builders VAT registration form.

The ICAEW said: "The format of the letter is similar to other such exercises which have been undertaken in the past where HMRC risk teams are seeking information which may help point to undeclared sourc...

Please Login or Register to read the full article

The full article is available to registered members only. To read the rest of this article you’ll need to login or register. Registration is FREE and allows you to view all content, ask questions, comment and much more.


Please login or register to join the discussion.

22nd Jan 2007 17:37

North London not alone
I've just had a builder in Croydon ring me advising that a customer of his has recieved such a letter from the tax office. So seems to be London wide anyway !!

Thanks (0)
By Taxi
17th Jan 2007 17:36

I was actually going to say that I reckoned that it should have
been the first question. Doorstep the homeowner, and then go for the builder!

Thanks (0)
By Anonymous
17th Jan 2007 15:46

Name of builder
I am sure my builder was called Bob...

Thanks (0)
17th Jan 2007 15:26

Cheeky b*stards!

Thanks (0)
By djw090
17th Jan 2007 15:47

Second letter
and then there is the question they save for a later letter.

Where did the money come from that you are using to pay for this building work?

Thanks (0)