Share this content

Newth Talks Tax: Renting a room out in main home

22nd Sep 2008
Kashflow logo

Renting a room out in main home

Jennifer enquired whether, when a room in a residence is rented out, the person receiving the rental income can claim expenses against the income such as a proportion of the mortgage interest and insurance etc.

Simon Sweetman replied in the affirmative, but remarked that it may be better to claim the non-taxable rent a room relief of up to 4,250.

Paul Soper confirmed that this was correct, and added that, if the rent is marginally over 4,250 a year, the owner has the choice of paying tax on the excess over 4,250 or working out the net profit less expenses in the usual way.

Rent a room relief was introduced by para.2 of Schedule 10 to the Finance(No.2) Act 1992, and is now contained in section 788, ITTOIA 2005 in respect of years...

Please Login or Register to read the full article

The full article is available to registered members only. To read the rest of this article you’ll need to login or register. Registration is FREE and allows you to view all content, ask questions, comment and much more.


You might also be interested in

Replies (1)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

01st Jul 2013 16:18


Where two people (X and Y) share ownership of the property can X claim £2,125 rent-a-room relief, while Y calculates thier taxable profits under method A?

Can Y thereby claim relief for all expenses?    

Thanks (0)