Editorial team AccountingWEB.co.uk
Share this content

Any Answers Answered: Income tax or CGT?

TaxTV’s Giles Mooney tackles two tax conundrums involving the increase in value of a property and the loss of sale of a property.

9th Dec 2020
Editorial team AccountingWEB.co.uk
Share this content

To view the full questions and AccountingWEB reader answers click on the links below:

Increase in value of a property

The first question comes from AccountingWEB member snickersinatwix, whose client lent his parents a large sum of money to purchase a house with the promise that when the house was sold, they would return his money plus half of the increase in value of the property. 

"Our client has now received £110,000," the reader said. "Would you treat the £60k as capital gain or interest? I don't think we can treat it as a gift as there was an agreement."

Loss on sale of a property

The next question comes from AccountingWEB member Openhouse, whose client purchased a property in 2018 and went on to sell it this year but with a very large loss.

"He paid 240,000 for it including stamp duty etc. Spent 15,000 on it in 18/19 and 10,000 on it in 19/20 and net proceeds from sale in June 2020 were 255,000 so a loss of 10,000 so not a very successful venture," the reader said. "Couple questions - would this constitute a trading loss or a capital loss? And if it is a trading loss and goes on his 2021 tax return as a loss of 10,000 can the loss be offset against his other income? Or should it be treated as a capital loss?"

For the latest episode of TAXtv visit PTP Interactive.​ TAXtv is a monthly tax update programme available as an annual subscription, (11 issues plus budget editions) to view online, download from the internet or watch on DVD


Replies (1)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By geoffmw1
14th Dec 2020 10:32

surely a Capital gains loss unless the trade is construction and even then it depends on the purpose of owning the property

Thanks (1)