Nigel Harris gets to grips with Sage One, the new web-based accounting program from the industry giant.
SageOne is brand new application developed from scratch by Sage. Launched on 18 January 2011, it is aimed at small businesses with no accounting background or time for software training.
Target market Very small businesses supported online by their accountants.
Cost £5/month Cashbook edition; £10/month Accounts; £250/year Accountant’s edition (free to Sage Accountants Club members)
● Simple interface supporting quick/easy data entry
● Summary home page (pictured above) presents good overview of company info
● Competitive price
● Can handle cash or invoice-based accounts, with VAT reporting for both
● 24 hour telephone support lines
● Journal entries and changes to the chart of accounts can only be carried out in the Accountants edition
● Inability to post transactions to specific nominal ledger accounts
● Limited reporting; no drill down to transaction detail
● Banking command requires a two-step process to bank cash
● No integration with Sage accounts production programs - yet
For free trial and more info, visit www.sageone.com