This week brought the government's first Spring Statement, a move designed to bring us back down to one fiscal event a year.
Content seriesView full content series
With no major tax and spending changes trailed, tax enthusiasts were expecting slim pickings from the Chancellor. However, 13 consultations and calls for evidence published in the immediate aftermath of Philip Hammond's speech gave the experts plenty to discuss.
Joining AccountingWEB editor Tom Herbert on the podcast were Chas Roy-Chowdhury, head of taxation at ACCA global, Mark Purdue, product manager - tax products at Thomson Reuters, and Alan Soady from the Federation of Small Businesses.
Topics discussed included:
- The taxation of digital businesses
- The VAT threshold consultation
- The consultations on the taxation of self-funded training
- A more grown-up approach to tax policy? More certainty for businesses or a missed opportunity to make bold decisions?
- The lack of a consultation for off-payroll working (IR35) for the private sector